Joel Holt has resided on St. Croix since 1977, when he was hired as a law clerk to U.S. Federal District Judge Warren H. Young. He opened his own law office in 1979 and has been in the same location ever since, practicing law on all three islands–St. Croix, St. Thomas and St. John.
Joel Holt attended Washington and Lee University, obtaining a B.A. degree in 1973, majoring in Philosophy. Joel Holt was accepted into law school in 1974 by the University of Richmond. He was first in his law school class and was on the editorial board of the Law Review. While in law school, he worked for the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Legislature for the Commonwealth of Virginia and several private law firms, including McGuire, Woods and Battle in Richmond. After graduation, he was admitted into the Virginia State Bar and the Bar for the District of Columbia.
After working as a law clerk for the U.S. District Court of the Virgin Islands on St. Croix in 1977 and 1978, Joel realized that there was an excellent opportunity to develop a law practice in the Virgin Islands. He passed the Virgin Islands Bar and opened his own office in 1979, engaging in the general practice of law, but specializing in litigation. Attorney Holt’s practice has flourished, as he continues to actively practice in the Superior Court of the Virgin Islands, the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands, the Federal District Court of the Virgin Islands and The United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Litigation services also include arbitration where appropriate.
- Juris Doctor – University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law – 1977
- Bachelor of Arts Degree – Washington & Lee University – 1973
- Member, Supreme Court of The Virgin Islands Advisory Committee To Draft New Court Rules – 2016
- Member, Governor’s Hotel Task Force-2016
- Member of the Fellowship of Litigation Counsel of America – Trial Lawyer Honor Society – 2017
- Martindale Hubbell’s Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards – Multiple years to present date.
- Founder and President of the Warren H. Young Scholarship Fund – 1980-present
- Member, Committee for Admission to Virgin Islands Bar Association – 1994-Present
- Member, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Lawyers Advisory Committee—2012
- Chairman, Judiciary Committee of V.I. Bar Association – 2002-2008
- Commencement Speaker, University of Richmond Law School – 2008
- Chairman, Legal Services Campaign for Equal Justice-2004
- Chairman, District Court Magistrate Selection Committee – 2003-2004
- Member, Third Circuit Task Force on Counsel for Indigent Litigants in Civil Cases – 1998 – 2000
- Recipient of Winston A. Hodge, Esq. Memorial Award – 2000
- Member, Board of Directors of Boys and Girls Club – 1992-1995.
- Member, Advisory Committee to the U.S. District Court Of The U.S. Virgin Islands – 1992 – 1995.
- Chairman, V.I. Law Revision Commission – 1990.
- Member, District Court Panel Appointed Under the Civil Justice Reform Act of 1990.
- President, V.I. Bar Association – 1989
- Member, V.I. Committee to Select U.S. Magistrate – 1986.
- Member, V.I. Legislative Tort Reform Committee – 1984-1985.
- Member of Various Gubernatorial Transition Teams